As you've probably guessed by the name of my blog, I am currently completely obsessed with Doctor Who. And I thought, since I have nothing else to talk about, I will try and explain why it means so much to me.
In case you don't know what I'm on about here (which I very much doubt), Doctor Who is a science fiction tv series and book series about an old time traveller called the Doctor, who stole a time machine (called the TARDIS) and went off to see the universe. The Doctor can regenerate whenever he dies, and become a completely different person, which has resulted in the show running for almost 50 years now, and we are currently at the 11th Doctor (Matt Smith). Earlier Doctors would visit all sorts of planets and parts of ancient history, but the newer Doctors tend to protect Earth throughout the last 1000 years or so.
I was first introduced to the show by my Dad, who has a collection of tapes that hold almost every episode of Doctor Who aired in Australia. I didn't really think much of it until I watch the fourth Doctor (Tom Baker), with his robot dog, K9 (who I loved to death) and companion Romana. I don't remember many of the episodes any more, but this Doctor was always armed with a bag of jelly babies, and wearing a very colourful scarf. From that Doctor on, I was hooked.
Out of the first eight Doctors, I only watched the fourth and fifth incarnations, but when the show came back around 2004 (I think...), my friend and I were both obsessed with it once again - this time with the 9th Doctor (Christopher Eccelston) and his companion Rose (Billie Piper). I still remember out recess and lunchtimes at school, when we would pretend to be travelling with the Doctor. This Doctor only lasted one season, but Rose travelled with the 10th Doctor (David Tennant) for another season.
David Tennant was one of the best Doctors we've ever had, though by the end of his third series, the show had more of a serious and sad side to it than before. Some of his episodes are my all-time favourites - his very first episode, the three-parter at the end of his second series, and the Titanic Christmas special (unfortunately, I am rubbish at remembering episode names...).
And then comes Matt Smith.
The 11th Doctor is a rather scatter-brained, fun-loving guy with a tweed jacket and bowtie ("Bowties are cool") that I absolutely love. He's not as good as David Tennant, granted, but he's great to quote, and I think he pulls it off perfectly. My Dad disagrees with me, but he still watches, so he can't think it's too bad. As with all the Doctors, Matt Smith's first episode is one of my all time favourites, and never fails to make me want to try fish fingers and custard (even though it looks like a rather disgusting snack).
Then of course, there are the monsters and aliens. Daleks, Cybermen, Weeping Angels, Sontarans, Vashten Arada, Sycorax, the Devil, the Absorbaloff, Slitheen, Krillitanes...you name it. All of them want to take over Earth, but none have managed it.
Out of them all, the ones that scare me most are the Weeping Angels, and Vashten Arada. Statues that can kill you if you blink, and carnivorous shadows. Daleks and Cybermen are our oldest, most hated foes...and then we get to the Master, the Doctor's greatest rival, driven mad by the drumbeat in his head. All of these creatures keep us watching.
I now have a Doctor Who roleplay on Facebook with two of my friends, called The Blue Box (in reference to the TARDIS), where we work together to create monsters and planets for OI own entertainment. So far we have the Ancients (an almost extinct race of people related to the Time Lords), Nightmares (worm their way into a victims head and show them images and hallucinations of various things that cause them great sadness or pain), Ghild (a completely robotic planet), and just last night, the Servants of Alliah (a religion who invade planets and convert or burn the inhabitants).
No comments:
Post a Comment